I am indifferent about this so I have come up with the idea of presenting two sides of the story because there are two sides of a coin. Here we go;
Why should you judge a book by its cover?
Only a desperate and unsettling person would judge a book by its cover. I’ll start with this adage ‘Not all that glitters is gold’. The fact that a book looks good on the outside doesn’t mean the story in it is interesting and just because a book looks ugly does not mean it doesn’t contain an interesting story . Whatever happened to having an inquisitive mind. These days, people are so engrossed with the front page that they never bother to look inside to find out what the content entails. This applies to human beings as well, we focus on outer views of human and we judge them just by looking at them.
- A girl has dressed in skimpy clothes; does that mean she’s a prostitute? She might just be a sweet loving person on the inside.
- A guy uses studs and has many revealing tattoos; does that portray him as being bad? He might mean no harm and just see it as him being fashion conscious.
- Someone has dressed shabbily; does that mean nothing sensible would come out of their mouth? they might just be the one who have the sweetest words.
- Why judge a book by its cover, when you can know more about it just by reading the story in it.
- You met someone once and he/she did not sound nice to you, does that mean that’s their behaviour? You never know, they might just be having a bad day.
- If a house looks good on the outside; does that mean the inside is sparkling clean? It might even by dirtier than a slum.
I agree that it is a long process, having to open a book to view its content, when you can just glance at the cover and conclude. Hmm.. Don’t forget, sometimes treasures can be hidden in the dirtiest places; it is left for you to decide if you want to just take a glance at the dirty place and turn back or if you want to go in search of the treasure even if it means getting into dirt. This is why I feel you should not judge a book by it’s cover.
Why should you not judge a book by it’s cover?
The package of something depicts how lovely the contents are.
Take for instance someone gets you a gift, and this gift is in a torn and shattered wrapping paper, right there you are thinking ‘why does this look so ugly’. Its not about you not being appreciative, it’s just the way the mind works. On the other hand, if the gift was in a lovely wrapper, the fact that the package alone is lovely makes you have that good feeling of the content. This is just the way it applies to human.
- If you decide to dress in skimpy dresses, don’t be surprised when you get harassed, it’s because of the way you have packaged yourself.
- If you’re a guy and you use studs, don’t be surprised if people tend to think you are bad, it’s because of your package.
- If you have many revealing tattoos all over your body, don’t be surprised when people in public give you bad looks. It’s simply because of your package.
- If the only way you think you can dress is by wearing torn clothes all in the name of fashion, don’t be surprised if people see you as someone who’s not serious. It’s simply because of your package.
- If you have acted badly to someone on your first meeting, don’t be surprised when the person makes a conclusion about you. It’s only because ‘first impression lasts forever’.
- I was watching this singing audition the other day and this guy came in looking all dirty, and the first thing the judge asked was ‘do you think I want to listen to you with the way you look’. As much as that sounded rude, it was the truth, you wouldn’t want to venture in to details if the package doesn’t look attractive. It’s not every now and then, that you have the time to open the pages of the book.
- This is why i feel, a book deserves to be judged by it’s cover, because the cover says it all.
Now relating this to the real world, my question is, should we focus on making our cover attractive forgetting totally about the details of our book?. The cover here can be our appearance, and the details of the book is what comes out from us, words of our mouth, character we possess, behaviour we display. On the other hand, is it possible to make your cover look attractive and also make the contents interesting without having to compromise?…Hmmm..